Falafel for us is one of the most satisfying foods out there!
We eat the occasional meat, always trying to look only for organic or buy it from local producers. But we are always more interested in reducing meat consumption and switch to a more plant-based diet. As you know, global warming is no joke, and health issues connected with a person’s diet are still the most important reason for heart disease, oncological problems, overweight etc. There are more than enough scientific researches showing that eating more plants every day is key. That’s why you will be seeing a lot of recipes like these crunchy and juicy homemade falafel.
That said, it doesn’t have to be boring food! It might be true that you need a bit more skill to cook plants so they taste good, but once you get the hang of it, you will not want to stop!
Chickpeas for us are one of our all time favourite plant-based foods, and this falafel recipe will make you crazy about them too!
Crunchy and juicy falafel
- Frying pan
- Food processor or meat grinder
- 400 g dry chickpeas soaked for 24 hours
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- ½ tbsp cumin ground
- ½ tbsp coriander seeds ground
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili ground
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Soak the chickpeas for 24 hours in clean water. Change the water a few times.
- Grind the chickpeas in the meat grinder or use a food processor, is best if you leave the mass chunky, it will bring more texture and crunchiness to the falafel.
- Mix the chopped onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, chili, cumin and coriander with the chickpeas and leave to rest for 30min.
- Take a big spoon of the chickpea mix and shape it into a ball, try to make all of the balls in equal size so they cook evenly
- In a frying pan heat 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, use more if needed. When the oil is hot, put the falafel balls inside and cook evenly from all sides until golden brown and crunchy. Don't overcrowd them in the pan, cook in batches
- Once cooked, serve them with a pita bread, some yogurt and tahini sauce, fresh vegetables like tomato and some fresh onion.
We hope you enjoy it as much as we do and share your results with us too!