Have your summer eves been so hot, that you just can’t force yourself to eat anything even slightly tepid? Well, it seems that summers become hotter by the year, so it’s good to have some recipes with cold ingredients that can cool us down. But this refreshing tzatziki for hot summer evenings is not only a nice cool dish for the heat.
It is also great to reduce meat consumption in some meal times, and this dish served with some grilled veggies and homemade pita bread will be perfect for a vegetarian meal!
- 1 medium sized cucumber
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- some herbs you like, for example, fresh or dried oregano, mint, dill
- Greek yogurt (if not available, look for something thicker)
This is as simple as it gets! No need to buy something ready at the supermarket that will have some preservatives and things that you really don’t want in your food!
- Grate the cucumber and sprinkle the salt, leave it for 10min to release some water. The squeeze it all nicely to eliminate the excess water.
2. Add some squished or chopped or grated garlic.
IF YOU HAVE A SENSITIVE STOMACH, I suggest you put the whole garlic clove in and leave it for 20 min to aromatise the tzatziki and then just remove it before serving.
Add some extra virgin olive oil, this will give fantastic taste, will pack this with some monounsaturated fatty acids and give it more consistency.
Add the 1/2 tbsp of white wine vinegar. You can also use apple or even red wine vinegar, it will just slightly change the colour.
3. Add the yogurt and stir well. You can add the aromatic herbs and some more extra virgin olive oil, if you like.
And voilá! You have an exquisite and fresh dish for a summer evening!
Pair this together with some wholegrain flatbread!