If you have been making sourdough bread, you will be familiar with the fact that each time you refresh your little yeast buddy, you have to throw some of it out. But, if you are like me, your heart is also aching and you just refuse to waste food. So here is just the best recipe for some sourdough fritters. You will love these so much, you will want to bake more sourdough bread too!
If you don’t know how to make your own sourdough starter, you can go ahead and read all about it here:
Be sure to read some important tips and tricks on the flour and water to use for the sourdough starter too. Read all about it HERE
The best thing about this recipe is that it takes only about 2 minutes to prepare it all. No fuss, no time wasting. Just be creative with spices and herbs to sprinkle on top.
Sourdough fritters with herbs and spices
- leftover sourdough
- 1 tbsp wholegrain flour
- pinch salt
- 1 clove chopped garlic optional
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- cilantro optional
- mint optional
- spring onion optional
- za'atar optional
- Mix your sourdough leftovers with some flour and olive oil. Just add enough, so you can handle it with your hands and it doesn't get too sticky.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet, or any other skillet will do. Add some extra virgin olive oil and heat it well. Roll it out flat, not too thin, like a nice little pancake.
- When the oil is hot, put the rolled out sourdough inside and fry it for about 30 seconds. You can add some dry spices now on the top of the fritter, just make sure you don't throw it in the oil, as it will burn quickly.
- After 30 seconds, turn the fritter over to cook the other side for another 30 seconds. When ready, take it out.
- White it is still hot, sprinkle some salt, fresh chopped herbs of your choice, some garlic, if you like. But make sure it is hot, because it will help the toppings absorb the flavour more.