Spring is here and summer can’t wait to arrive with warm days and lovely lunches outside in the sun. This is the best chickpea Mediterranean summer salad you can make! You can prepare this a day before and bring it to work for lunch or serve this at your garden party. It is so versatile, it will be great at any occasion and everyone will love it.
My advice is always to buy dry legumes and leave them to soak in water for 24 hours. The consistency will be so much better, and you will be actually able to choose how mushy or firm you want the chickpeas to be. I find the canned chickpeas always too mushy for this kind of salad and the taste is never as good as of freshly boiled ones.
Another reason why you should cook the chickpeas yourself is you can choose the size of the legume. Chickpea can come in smaller sizes that is mostly used for hummus and similar dished, and the big ones are great for salad.
Of course, don’t forget that if you boil your own chickpeas, there won’t be any preservatives in them and you can decide how much salt to put in the water.
Chickpea Mediterranean summer salad
- 500 g dried chickpeas soaked in water 24 hours before
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- fresh mint
- fresh parsley
- fresh cilantro
- sant and pepper
- Remember to soak the chickpeas one day before. After 24 hours they will already be soft enough, so you will only need to boil them for 30 min. Once boiled, cool them to room temperature in the cooking water, so they don't become dry.
- Chop the onion, red bell pepper and mix with the chickpeas in a big bowl.
- Add sumac, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and the fresh herbs. Leave to marinate a minimum of 20 min before serving.