Do you often find yourself without bread at home and need to whip up something very quickly? This wholegrain wheat flour flatbread will be the perfect recipe for you!
We use these flatbreads for different dishes, like for wheat tacos filled with mushrooms or chicken, or for some Greek recipes, like gyros. You can use these for many different things, because you will find it a very easy and quick recipe to do.
You can try cooking a lamb leg for 4 hours on a low temperature in the oven with spices. You will get super smooth and soft buttery meat, that you can serve it with these fantastic flatbreads. Whip up some yogurt and tahini sauce with a splash of lemon, and you have a fantastic meal!
As I mention in the recipe, the flatbreads, if cooked perfectly, will puff up, but don’t worry, if that doesn’t happen the first time you make them. I had to do three tries for them to finally puff while cooking. Just keep trying 🙂
This is what it will look like, when you really get the hang of it.
Don’t use olive oil or any other fat in the pan, as it will burn.
You will see, the dough is perfect to cook the flatbread on high heat in the pan without oil.
Wholegrain wheat flatbread without yeast
- A rolling pin or something similar
- A small frying pan
- 250 g Wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 110 ml water tepid
- Mix the flour with baking powder, salt and olive oil by hand or with a dough mixer. Add the water and kneed the dough for about 5 min until completely smooth.
- Preheat the pan on high heat. Divide the dough in 8 equal size balls and take just a bit of the flour to help you roll out the dough. Don't use much flour because it will get burnt, the trick is to use just a bit on the rolling pin.
- Cook the flatbread in the pan until one side is fully cooked, if the temperature is correct, it should start puffing up, but don't worry if it doesn't. I had to try this recipe three times before mine started puffing up. Turn to cook on the other side.
- Wrap the cooked flatbread in a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm and moist, serve while still hot. You can reheat these and eat them also the next day, but after that they will become quite hard.
We really hope you can enjoy these and share some fillings you would use with these amazing flatbreads!